Punjab National Banks offers a wide range of basic services on mobile through SMS banking. This service is particularly useful for users who use basic mobile phones. However, it can be used by any mobile user who wants to avail banking services by sending SMS. One of the best things about this facility is that you do not need to have internet connection on your mobile.
A PNB user needs to have his mobile number registered for SMS alerts to enjoy SMS banking services. You can register for SMS alerts by contacting the nearest PNB branch during working hours. Once you have registered your mobile number, you need to send SMS in a predefined format depending on the service to 5607040. You can get Mini Statement, account balance and status of your cheques via SMS banking. It also allows you to transfer funds or stop payment of cheques. However, you cannot transfer more than Rs. 5000 in a day via SMS banking.
SMS Formats for various Services
- Balance Enquiry: You can check the current balance of your PNB account by typing BAL followed by your 16 digit account number with a space in between and send it to 5607040.
- Mini Statement Inquiry: You can get details of the last few transactions (both deposits and withdrawals) on your mobile by typing MINSTMT followed by your 16 digit account number with a space in between and send it to 5607040.
- Monthly Account Statement: If you want to check all the transactions carried out in a particular month, you need to type STMT followed by name of the month and your 16 digit account number with spaces in between and send it to 5607040.
- Stop Payment of Cheque: You can stop payment of a cheque issued against your account by typing STPCHQ followed by the cheque number and the 16 digit account number with spaces in between and send it to 5607040.
- Check Status of a Cheque: You can also get the status of a cheque on your mobile by typing CHQINQ followed by the cheque number and the 16 digit account number with spaces in between and send it to 5607040.
- Request for a Cheque Book: PNB allows you to request for new cheque book by typing CHKBK followed by your 16 digit account number; MBANKING followed by User ID and desired number of leaves in cheque book. The format is as follows:
CHKBK ACCOUNT NUMBER MBANKING USERID NUMBER OF LEAVES FOR CHEQUE BOOK
- Reset SMS Password: You can reset password of SMS banking by typing CHNGPWD followed by current password and new password with spaces in between and send it to 5607040.
- Generate MMID: You can generate MMID for receiving IMPS payments by typing MMID and sending it to 5607040.
- Cancel MMID: You can cancel your MMID by typing MMIDCANCEL and sending it to 5607040.
- Funds Transfer to Self Linked Accounts: The format is as follows:
SLFTRF FROM ACCOUNT NUMBER TO ACCOUNT NUMBER AMOUNT